(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Pennsylvania Museum Bulletin. Number 43, July 1913"

'& 







P. 



*v. # 



it 3 






>** 



IBS 






tv . V ^xxxxzxxz: 



A 



ff|T v/^xxxxrxxxraMBanscanasraaKxrxxzzisxx: 'V*^ U 

W3?S; «ffiSESW 






»« 



^TaVl^v 



itS»>f£L^ f > 















^^SSES 



>c?cr-:r.*v> 



RHiSHa>-(MW€Riy 

nusain AnD-scHOOLOFinixjsTRiAL- art 

n€nOWAUHAUU • FAiRnourrr R\RK 

PHILADCLPHIA 

SUBSCRIPTIOH PRIC€ 006 DOLLAR A^RR 

3uls, 1013 

Entered. Autrnst Tt, 1S85, at Philadelphia, Pa., a* Second-Class Matter, under Act of Congress of July It. ISM 



P E N N S Y L VA NIA MUSEUM 

AND SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART 

BoarD of {Trustees 

The Governor of the State, Ex-Of. The Mayor of the City, Ex-Of. 

Charles Bond Mrs. John Harrison Theodore C. Search 

James Butterworth Thomas Skelton Harrison Edgar V. Seeler 

John G. Carruth John Story Jenks G. Henry Stetson 

Charles E. Dana John H. McFadden Edward T. Stotesbuby 

Thomas Dolan John D. McIlhenny Jones Wisteb 

Harrington Fitzgerald John T. Morris William Wood 

Charles H. Harding John W. Pepper 

Officers 

THEODORE C. SEARCH, President 

JOHN STORY JENKS, ) „. _ ._, 

> Vice-PrestdenU 
JOHN G. CARRUTH, j 

JAMES BUTTERWORTH, Treasurer 

EDWIN ATLEE BARBER, Secretary 

LESLIE W. MILLER, Principal of the School 



EDWIN ATLEE BARBER, Editor 



Bulletin 

for 3uty Nineteen Muuoreo ano Gbirteen 
CONTENTS 



PAOB 



Old Spanish Carved Doors, by Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson . . . 4j 

Old American Pressed Glass ........ 4*! 

A Ten-Plate Stove ......... 4; 

Collection of Chessmen, by Mr. James F. Magee, Jr. ... 4; 

Old Silver 5c 

The Shackleton Collection of Antarctic Specimens 

by Sir Ernest H. Shack leton . . . . . . 51 

Notes ............ 5; 

List of Accessions ............ 5 1 

Membership, etc. .......... 5< 



BULLETIN 

OF 

THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

JULY, 1913 ELEVENTH YEAR Number 43 

OLD SPANISH CARVED DOORS 

When traveling in California last winter, Air. John T. Morris, to whom 
the Museum is already indebted for so many generous gifts, discovered a pair 
of old carved doors of Spanish workmanship, which he purchased and presented 
to the Museum. These handsome specimens of old Spanish decorative art 
came from the Convent of Santa Isabel at Toledo, and are said to be the work 
of monks of the sixteenth century. 

They are of walnut wood, and the original wrought-iron latch is preserved. 
Each door is divided into eight sunken squares or sections, all of which are 
framed with a handsomely carved molding. In the centre of each panel, of 
which there are sixteen, are carved in relief figures of saints, many of which 
are accompanied by special symbols or attributes that reveal the intention of 
the artist, or at least afford a clue to it. For instance, the two evangelists at 
the top of the left hand door facing the reader in the picture are recognizable — 
one as St. Luke, by the ox at his side, and the other as St. John, by means of 
his eagle. The other two evangelists are found, one at the foot of the right 
hand door, where St. Matthew is symbolized by a human figure, and the other, 
St. Mark, by his lion, at the foot of the left hand door. 

Another plainly identifiable figure is that of St. Jerome, who in art is 
always represented with a lion, whether he is shown naked in the desert, or 
dressed in his cell reading and wearing a cardinal's hat, as is here the case. 
He is at the foot of the right hand door, to the right of Matthew. The other 
three fathers of the Church, St. Augustine with his crozier to the extreme 
lower left of the left door, St. Ambrose holding the scourge, and St. Gregory 
with his papal tiara, at the top of the right hand door, are also represented. St. 
Felicitas, covering with her mantle her seven sons, only four of whom are seen 
in the carving, occupies the square below St. Gregory. She was a rich Roman 
widow who lived at the time of Marcus Aurelius' persecutions. One of her 
seven sons was daily put to death under her eyes before she herself was mar- 
tyred. She is represented hooded as a widow, often bearing the martyr's palm ; 
but her sons are her principal attributes. By her side are two saints. One is St. 
Francis with his characteristic knotted cord, holding up his hands, where he 
received the stigmata, as in blessing. St. James, patron saint of Spain, when 



44 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 




OLD SPANISH CARVED DOORS 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



45 



not on his white charger 
is usually represented in a 
pilgrim's garb carrying a 
long staff. He is proba- 
bly the saint next to St. 
Francis. 

On the other door, 
third row from top, St. 
Lucy is identifiable by her 
salver on which are her 
eves. These she herself 
cut out lest her admirer, 
who was haunted by their 
beauty, be tempted into 
sin. St. John the Baptist 
is next to her. Above 
him are two saints, one of 
whom, wearing the crown, 
is possibly St. Margaret. 
In the adjoining panel to 
the left is St. Vincent of 
Paul, bearing a child. 
With him probably is St. 
Lawrence, carrying his 
gridiron as conventional- 
ized in some of his effi- 
gies. The model of a 
church denotes a founder, 
while the cup or chalice, 
if borne by a female fig- 
ure, denotes Sta. Barbara, 
if by a man it indicates St. 
Benedict. The martyr's 
palm is the common at- 
tribute of all who have 
suffered death for the 
faith, and therefore can- 
not serve as a means of 
closer identification. 

It is difficult to iden- 
tify positively the figures 
that carry no specialized 
emblems, but one may 
fairly select in preference 
in such cases such saints 
as were most honored in 
Spain or were of univer- 




CARVED PANELS 
Showing Italian Influer 






46 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



sal worship. While the execution of the carvings is somewhat crude, they 
have some merit. They are elaborate and typical of the art of the period they 
represent and are decidedly interesting. 

A pair of large carved panels given by Mr. Morris are probably of later 
date and may be imitated from models of Italian workmanship. They were 
evidently made for secular use. They are carved walnut with graceful gar- 
lands and clusters of flowers that recall the late Italian Renaissance. The 
Spanish note, however, is maintained by the lower parts of both panels, which 
are divided each into four sections, in the centre of each of which is boldly 
carved a grim helmeted warlike head that we are tempted to identify as that 
of a "conquistador." There are eight of these, which form so stern a basis 
for the graceful decorations of the top that one would naturally feel inclined 
to believe that the two parts did not belong together. But a careful examina- 
tion of the heads used in the scrolls, as well as of the back places the matter 
beyond question, and it is the taste of the carver-artist that must be questioned 
in this singular production. S. Y. S. 



OLD AMERICAN PRESSED GLASS 

The Mexican war of 1846 furnished numerous subjects for the American 
glass makers of the middle of the nineteenth century. Elasks and bottles were 

decorated with portrait busts of General 
Zachary Taylor, Major Ringgold and Captain 
Bragg, and lately a pressed glass cup plate, 
previously unknown to collectors, with head 
of Ringgold, commemorating the battle of 
Palo Alto, has been added to the Museum's 
collections. The battle of Palo Alto, Texas, 
was fought on May 8, 1846, on which occasion 
Major Ringgold's battery took an active part. 
The cup plate here figured probably appeared 
within the following year. 

Pressed glass was first produced at the 
Boston and Sandwich glass works in Sand- 
wich, Mass., in 1827. One of the earliest 
patriotic designs made there is a circular salt 
cellar with the figure of the American eagle 
on the base, and sailing vessels and eagles 
around the sides. Others, of rectangular 
form, bear on the sides the heads of Washington and Lafayette in relief, made 
probably in commemoration of the opening of the Erie Canal, on which 
occasion General Lafayette was present. 




RINGGOLD CUP PLATE 
Sandwich, Mass., 1846 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



47 



A TEN-PLATE STOVE 

In the Museum's collection of early American iron work is an interesting 
ten-plate stove, in fine condition, bearing the name of the District Furnace, 
which was erected on Pine Creek, in District Township, Berks County, Pa., 
previous to 1784, at 
which time it was owned 
by John Lesher. The 
sides of the stove are 
embellished with the 
Arms of Pennsylvania 
in relief. On the front 
plate is a rendering of 
the American eagle with 
shield, while the back 
plate is decorated with 
the design of a graceful 
urn. 

The age of the stove 
is somewhat uncertain, 
but it is probable that 
this type is of a late 
period, about the first 
quarter of the nineteenth 
century. Indeed, the 
attitude of the reclining 
horses in the State Arms 
would indicate the date 
of 1823, as that of manu- 
facture. While the advent of ten-plate stoves in the latter half of the eighteenth 
century marked the beginning of the decadence of stove making in Penn- 
sylvania, the one here shown is perhaps one of the handsomest of its kind 
that has yet turned up. It is an excellent example of American iron work 
of nearly a century ago. 




TEN-PLATE STOVE 
Early Nineteenth Century 



COLLECTION OF CHESSMEN 

The best authorities agree that chess was invented about 600 A. D. in India. 
The Hindoos taught the game to the Persians, but the Arabs who captured 
Persia were the real lovers of the game and in their Asiatic and European 
invasions they taught the game to the civilized world. 

The Koran prohibited the followers of the faith from representing animals, 
birds or man in decorations, carvings or manuscripts, so that they substituted 
in place of the ancient chess figures pieces carved in cylinder form. The group 
here shown belongs to an old India ivory set used by the followers of 



4 8 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



Mohammed and was sent from Bengal by Prince Singha, a native chess player 
of that country. 

The shape of the chessmen as introduced into Europe by the Arabs did 
not long remain popular ; in each locality we soon find the shape of the figures 




OLD IVORY CHESSMEN 

India 

changed to conform with taste, traditions and religions of the country into 
which the game had been introduced. The Christian Church also objected to 
chessmen used in non-Christian countries. In Florence, as earlv as 1061, a 
bishop was reprimanded for playing chess in public : 

"Was it right, I say, and consistent with thy duty, to sport away thy 
evenings amidst the vanity of chess, and to defile the hand which offers up the 
body of the Lord, the tongue that mediates between God and man, with the 
pollution of a sacrilegious game?" 

We find, therefore, that the forms of the pieces were soon made to conform 

with European and Christian ideas. In 
the Eastern game there was no queen, 
a counsellor or general, called the Pherz, 
stood next to the king, but the venera- 
tion of the times towards the Holy 
Virgin naturally led to the introduction 
of a queen. We also find a bishop in full 
dress, and in Iceland a bishop's mitre 
carved from walrus tusk is introduced 
into the game ; Biblical figures, such as 
the "Adoration of the Magi," the "'Bap- 
tism of Christ," and "Adam and Eve in 
the Garden," are carved upon the pieces. 
Many of the European museums 
have in their collections from one to a 

SPANISH CHESS KING 

Fourteenth Century 

Charles V. of Germany, 1550 





BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



49 



dozen old ivory chessmen, some carved as early as the ninth century. The 
directors of some of these museums have had casts of these chess figures made 
and colored to resemble as nearly as possible the old pieces that are made 
from stag horn, stone, ivory or walrus tusk. 

In the collection to which this refers will be found nearly fifty repro- 
ductions of medieval chess figures from the museums in Munich, Paris, Berlin, 
Florence, Nuremberg and London. The most interesting original figure in 




REPRODUCTIONS OF EARLY CHESSMEN 
I. Ivory Queen, Twelfth Century, found In Salerno, Italy 
2. tvory King, Twelfth Century, in National Museum, Florence 
3 Ivory King, Henry I., Twelfth Century 

the collection is a carving of Charles V., Emperor of Germany, seated upon 
a lion; this dates back to 1550. 

Of the entire sets that composed of thirty-two German china figures is 
most interesting. Each piece is different ; the sixteen pieces are all mounted, 
while the sixteen pawns are foot soldiers in the costume of about 155°- 
Another German set of about 1800 is made of gun metal, the black king rep- 
resenting Gustavus Adolphus, and the silver leader Ferdinand II. Emperor 
of Austria. 

The three carved ivory sets are beautiful examples of Chinese work- 
manship. The finest and largest set mounted on carved balls, the property of 
Mr. John Culin, is especially worthy of careful inspection. 

The chess books range in date from 1525, Rome, down to the first book 
of the kind printed in America, Philadelphia, 1802, reproduced from medieval 
chess manuscripts, the oldest, Arabic 1 140. 

To Philadelphians an old woodcut of Kempelen's chess automaton should 
be of special interest. This mechanical chess-player, invented in Yienna in 
1769, was exhibited throughout Europe; before it has stood and played 



50 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

Frederick the Great, Dr. Benjamin Franklin and the Emperor Napoleon. 
The Kempelen automaton was brought to America in 1826, making its home 
in Philadelphia, and was exhibited on Sixth street near Walnut. This historic 
automaton was consumed by fire on July 5, 1854, when the Chinese Museum 
and the Philadelphia National Theatre at Ninth and Chestnut streets were 
burned in the great fire of that year. J. F. M., Jr. 



OLD SILVER 

Mr. C. Hartman Kuhn has deposited on loan in the Museum a collection 
of twenty-three examples of silver, the work of English and American silver- 
smiths of the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The oldest of the 
English pieces is a thirteen-inch paten with engraved arms in the centre, made 




EARLY AMERICAN SILVER 



by John Martin Stacker and Edw. Peacock, which bears the date letter for 
I7°S- A companion piece, ten inches in diameter, was produced in 1727 in 
London by Thomas Mason. A tankard tray with armorial bearings is stamped 
with the mark of Robert Abercromby and the date 1740, while a pair of 
decanter coasters was made by Robert Hennell in 1785. Among the English 
pieces of the nineteenth century are a large cake basket by Robert Garrard 
(1810), and a knife, fork and spoon, of elaborate workmanship, belonging to 
the early Victorian period. 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 51 

The group of American pieces, principally by Philadelphia silversmiths, 
contains some remarkably fine examples of late eighteenth century work, 
including an openwork brazier with wooden handle bearing the mark of Philip 
Syng (1780); a small porringer by Richard Humphreys (1775); a pair of 
tankards with hinged lids decorated with engraved arms, by John Myers 
(1796) ; two strainers, one by Kirk & Son, of Baltimore (1817), the other 
by Benjamin Halstead, of Philadelphia (1783) ; a covered saucepan by Joseph 
Richardson (about 1796) ; a small mug by Fletcher and Gardiner (1814), and 
a very interesting wine syphon, bearing the mark of Samuel Williamson 
(1796). The collection has been installed in a separate case in the main 
aisle of the East Gallerv. 



THE SHACKLETON COLLECTION OF ANTARCTIC SPECIMENS 

The collection of Antarctic specimens formed by the British expedition 
of 1907-1909, in charge of Sir Ernest H. Shackleton, which was presented 
by Sir Ernest to Mr. John H. McFadden and by the latter lent to the Museum, 
was installed in the Rotunda and opened to the public on June 5th. It will 
remain on exhibition during the summer. The following account has been 
contributed by Sir Ernest Shackleton himself. 

"The value of a Polar expedition apart from the knowledge of the work- 
it has done, lies in the value of the scientific collection brought back by such 
an expedition. Until lately there has been a wide opinion that the stark 
Polar regions produce nothing but a large supply of ice and snow, but this 
is by no means the case. The whole story of the world in its earliest stages 
can be read as well in Polar regions as in the more temperate zones. 

"From the rocks of the Antarctic, we can tell what has happened in the 
changes of nature through the aeons that have gone by since the South Pole 
was a tropical country. 

"From the birds at present living there, we can trace the stages of 
evolution. To the student of nature, there is as much information to be 
gathered on signs in general as in any other part of the world. 

"The collection that is now finding a final home in Philadelphia presents 
the results of the British Antarctic expedition of 1907- 1909. There is no 
collection of a similar nature in the United States, and there is no Antarctic 
collection displayed in any other city of the world. 

"The method of collecting and preserving the various specimens is always 
done under hard conditions, and the results embodied in this collection comprise 
some three or four hundred specimens of marine fauna. 

"It would come as a surprise no doubt to the general public that life in 
the South Pole seas is as prolific as life in the Tropical seas. The reason is 
not far to seek. South Polar seas enjoy an equable temperature in the summer. 
The temperature of the sea is just above freezing in the winter and as a blanket 
of ice covers the ocean, the temperature below the ice remains the same. The 
result is that the seas swarm with life. 



52 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

"The visitors to this exposition will see Star Fish, Shrimps, Corals and 
Jelly Fish, Worms, Sea Spiders and delicate Sponges, all of them, however, 
having- peculiarities due to their Polar habitat. 

"There are 500 individual marine specimens in the collection. The 
botanical side is poorly represented, but there is one of every type of botanical 
specimen found in the Antarctic. Plant life is extremely abundant in the 
North Pole regions. Within 500 miles of the North Pole are over a hundred 
flowering plants in the summer: within 1,700 miles of the South Pole there 
nre no flowering plants, and within 730 miles all plant life ceases, but a few 
mosses and lichens make a heroic struggle for existence in the intense cold. 

"The geological side is naturally very well represented. Visitors can see 
specimens of rocks and lava discharged from the great active volcano, Mount 
Erebus. This lava is called Kenyte, and gets its name from Mount Kenia. 
This volcano is situated in the tropics in Africa. Mount Erebus discharges at 
times bombs, and amongst the collection is a bomb that has been thrown out 
and finally fell 18 miles away from the summit of the mountain. 

"There are a great many varieties of granite, for this great continent 
is largely made up of mountains and masses of most beautiful granite. There 
are feldspar crystals from the summit of Mount Erebus ; sand-stones and 
schists from the Western mountains ; basalt from another volcano, Mount 
Discovery, and qnartzite specimens. 

"It is interesting to know that within 290 miles of the South Pole are 
great seams of coal. The animal kingdom is represented by a fine specimen 
of White Seal, seven feet long, and this is the only specimen in the United 
States today. 

"There is an Emperor Penguin, a large bird, and there is a specimen 
of the young King Penguin in its brown fur, which is its dress before it 
attains the dignity of the white front. There are four Skua-Gulls, two in 
characteristic pose, fighting over the body of a young Adelie Penguin ( these 
Skua-Gulls are voracious enemies of the little Adelie Penguin) and a Gentoo 
Penguin, the only specimen that has been obtained on that side of the Antarctic 
Continent on which the expedition was operating. 

"There are skulls and teeth of various seals which give an idea of the 
form of the jaws of the seals. There are over 100 eggs of the Penguin, Skua- 
Gull and Albatross. The human side of the expedition will be represented by 
various units of equipment used on that expedition. There is one of the 
sledges used on the Western journey, which is interesting as a matter of 
comparison with the sledges used in the North Pole region. The tent and tent- 
poles of the Southern supporting party, the sleeping beds and the clothing 
worn by the members of the expedition, represent the general equipment 
necessary to compete with the rigors of the South Pole life. 

"There are series of photographs showing the features of the expedition, 
and it is hoped that the public will take advantage of the presence of this 
collection about to be installed in Philadelphia, where knowledge can be 
gained of that remote continent which has an approximate area of five million 
and a half square miles." 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 53 

NOTES 

Under the auspices of the Board of Trustees a luncheon was served in 
Memorial Hall at 1.30 P.M. on June 5th for the delegates to the eighth annual 
meeting of the American Association of Museums. At 3.30 P. M."the guests, 
after inspecting the Museum, were taken through Fairmount Park in automo- 
biles lent by friends of the Museum. 

New Members — Following is a list of annual members recently elected: 

F. G. Brown Miss Georgia B. McIlhenny 

Mrs. T. Coleman du Pont Miss Selina B. McIlhenny 

Joseph Elias Dr. S. Weir Mitchell 

Arthur A. Fleisher Mrs. H. S. Prentiss Nichols 

Miss Alice M. Freeman J. Howard Reber 
Mrs. Charles S. Hinchman Alfred P. Shannon 

Mrs. Samuel B. Huey Mrs, Miles White, Jr. 

Francis S. McIlhenny Clement B. Wood 

Mrs. John D. McIlhenny Mrs. Carl A. Ziegler 

American Porcelains — A remarkable collection of hard paste porcelains 
designed and executed by Mrs. Adelaide Alsop Robineau, of Syracuse, N. Y., 
was recently exhibited in a case in the East Gallery. The exhibit included 
examples of carved, perforated and excised work and matt, flambe and 
crystalline glazes. The collection has been shown in many of the more 
important art museums of the country and has attracted widespread attention 
both for the originality of forms and decorative effects and the excellence 
of execution. 

Old Silver — The collection of old silver recently deposited by Mr. C. 
Hartman Kuhn contains many rare and beautiful examples of the work of 
American and English silversmiths of the eighteenth and early nineteenth 
centuries, ranging from 1705 to 181 7. A review of this collection appears 
elsewhere in this issue. 

Cover Design — The cover design used with this issue was drawn by one 
of the pupils of the School. 

New Cases — Six new cases have been secured for the Bloomfield Moore 
collections of porcelains, enamels and brasses. 

School Notes — The Commencement exercises of the School were held 
at Horticultural Hall on the evening of June 5, 1913. Hon. John J. Macfar- 
lane delivered the address, his subject being "Industrial Education and 
Commercial Prosperity." 

The chief new features of the Annual Exhibition, held at the School 
building from June 5th to 14th inclusive, were the displays of salt glazed 
stoneware, which has now become an established part of the regular product, 
one hundred and sixty-seven pieces being shown; the cement garden vases 
with mosaic enrichment and the enameled jewelry, in which a beginning was 
made last season. The illustration class made a larger than usual exhibit of 



54 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

more developed work, the study of human and comparative anatomy has been 
much further advanced, and it was the consensus of opinion that all classes had 
displayed greater strength. The building was opened on Sunday afternoon, 
inducing a large attendance. 

The list of prizes had several additions made to it this year. Mr. Herbert 
D. Allman of the Advisory Committee gave two more ten-dollar prizes for 
work in enamel and plant analysis ; Mr. Edward Stern, also of the Advisory 
Committee, one of fifteen dollars for illustration ; Mr. H. H. Battles one 
of twenty-five dollars and five of five dollars each for studies of flowers from 
nature ; Mrs. Holbrook one of five dollars for the best study in comparative 
anatomy, and Mr. Chandler one of ten dollars for a label design. 

A Gothic casket in carved wood, designed and executed by the graduating 
class of 1912-1913, containing the records of the School life of the members, 
was presented by the clas.s to the Alumni Association of the Art School after 
the commencement exercises. This is to be the forerunner of a series of such 
record boxes, which the Association will hold, and in which the subsequent 
education and professional experiences of the donors will be noted. 

Through the generosity of Mr. John Sellers Bancroft, the Association 
has been enabled to start a general library for the use of members and others 
using the room. Additions have been made by Mr. John T. Morris, Mr. R. L. 
Fertig and others. Mr. Fertig has presented two thousand prints of designs 
and art objects, and will add several thousand more on his return from Italy. 

Mr. Spear of the School staff has accepted a position in Richmond, Va., 
to take charge of all the art work in the public schools and in the Mechanics 
Institute. His place in the Art Department has not yet been filled. 

In order to add the finishing touches to their course of study, a party 
made up of several of this year's graduates in the Textile department made 
a tour of the New England States immediately after commencement, inspecting 
the largest textile plants in that section. The most cordial invitations had 
been extended to the students by the heads of many of the most prominent 
mills, who acted as the hosts of the tourists during their stay in the various 
cities. Special arrangements were made to entertain them in local gatherings 
in Lowell, Worcester, Boston and Providence. While in Providence, there 
was a reception and smoker at the Crown Hotel, on Monday evening, June 
9th, at which many of the prominent manufacturers in that city, as well as 
many of the former students of the School now occupying responsible positions 
in the mills in that vicinity, participated. 

The party left New York on Sunday evening, June 8th, and arrived in 
Providence early Monday morning. That day and Tuesday were spent in 
and around that city, affording the students ample time to visit the most 
prominent textile mills there, and also those of the allied industries, including 
those of textile machinery construction, such as loom building, spinning and 
preparatory machinery, as well as the bleaching, dyeing and finishing plants. 
Wednesday was spent at Worcester, visiting the principal mills in that city. 
The tourists reached Boston on the same evening. Thursday, Friday and 
Saturday were occupied in visiting the mills at Lowell and Lawrence, and on 
Saturday evening the trip came to a close, the students returning to New York. 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

ACCESSIONS 

April — June, 1913 



OBJECT 



HOW ACQUIRED 



Portfolio of Old Engravings, English Given by Mrs. Annesley R. Govett. 

13 Chessmen Lent by Mr. James F. Magee, Jr. 

Set of Ivory Chessmen, Chinese Given by Mrs. Annesley R. Govett. 

Collection of z\ Snuff Boxes, Tyrolese, 18th 

and early 19th Centuries By Purchase. 

Collection of Knives, Forks, Spoons, Tyrolese, 

17th — 19th Centuries By Purchase. 

Carved Ivory Fan, Chinese Lent by Mrs. J. P. Alacan. 

Stoneware Syrup Jug, By Ridgway & Abington, 

Staffordshire, England Lent by Mrs. Edwin AtLee Barber. 

Pitcher and Platter, old English Given by Miss Mary A. Dobbins. 

Maiolica Compotier, English, about 1S76 Given by Mrs. Isaac Hough. 

Collection of Pottery and Porcelain, European.. Given by Mr. C. Hartman Kuhn. 
Maiolica Compotier, Made by Veillard & Co., 

Bordeaux, France, about 1876 Given by Mrs. Joseph F. Sinnott. 

Porcelain Toby Jug, English , „. , ... . D c . 

_, , _ _ , _ '- Given by Miss Anna P. Stevenson. 

Black Pottery Bottle, Peruvian J J 

2 Astronomical Clocks, Chinese Lent by Mr. Mover Fleisher. 

Painted Wooden Chest, Pennsylvania-German, 

Dated 1 798 Given by Col. Thomas S. Harrison. 

Carved and Inlaid Screen, Syrian Given by Mr. Caleb J. Milne, Jr. 

Pair of Carved Walnut Doors, Spanish, 16th ^ 

Century ... ................ Lj.^ Mf T Morris 

Pair of Carved Walnut Panels, Spanish, 17th 

Century -> 

3 Carved Walnut Panels, French Given by Mrs. Arthur Sewall. 

Collection of Old Iron Locks and Keys, 

Tyrolese Given by Mrs. John Harrison. 

Copper Tea Kettle, Made by W. Heiss; Phila- 
delphia, Early 19th Century By Purchase. 

Silver Sugar Tongs, Made by J. Doll, American, 

about 1835 Lent by Mrs. Edwin AtLee Barber. 

Silver Sugar Bowl and 2 Silver Coffee Pots, Made 

by T. Wriggins, Philadelphia Lent by Miss Caroline E. Cope. 

23 Pieces of Old Family Silver — English and 

American, 1705-1817 Lent by Mr. C. Hartman Kuhn. 

Collection of Silver Objects Including Amulets, 
Personal Ornaments, etc., from India, Japan 
and Other Countries Given by Mr. C. Hartman Kuhn. 

Beaded Purse, American, Early 19th Century.... Given by Mrs. Esther Cook Barton. 

2 Pieces of Brussels Point Lace; Made about 

1675 Lent by Mrs. Edward Coles. 

Blue Silk Calash and Man's Buckskin Coat Given by Mrs. Oliver A. Judson. 

Collection of Laces, Embroideries, Fans, etc Given by Mr. C. Hartman Kuhn. 

Piece of Brocaded Satin, French Given by Mrs. Andrew Ross Fillebrown. 

Cotton Handkerchief with Printed View of Cen- 
tennial Buildings Given by Mrs. William D. Frishmuth. 

Embroidered Hanging, Rhodian, iSth Century .. Given by Mr. John W. Pepper. 

4 Dolls Lent by Miss Mary E. Sinnott. 

Colored Print and Wooden Coffee Box, Penn- 
sylvania-German, 1 8th Century Given by Mr. John Story Jenks. 

Toy Watch, German, 19th Century Given by Mr. George Francis Dow. 



56 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



MEMBERSHIP 

The Trustees of the Pennsylvania 
Museum and School of Industrial Art 
desire the active co-operation of all pub- 
lic-spirited citizens who are known to be 
in sympathy with its educational work. 
All such persons are invited to become 
members. 

CLASSIFICATION OF MEMBERS 

Patrons — Those who contribute the 
sum of $5000 or more whether in money 
or objects for the Museum. 

Life Members — Those who contribute 
the sum of $100 or more at one time. 

Annual Members — Those who contri- 
bute not less than $10 yearly. 

The contributions received from Pa- 
trons ($5000), and from Life Members 
($100), are added to the permanent En- 
dowment Fund. Contributions from An- 
nual Members ($10) are used to the best 
advantage in the development of the 
Museum and the School. 

ADVANTAGES OF MEMBERSHIP 

All members are entitled to the fol- 
lowing benefits: 

The right to vote and transact busi- 
ness at the Annual Meeting. 

Invitations to all general receptions 
and exhibitions held at the Museum and 
the School. 

Free access to the Museum and School 
Libraries and admission to all lectures. 

Also a copy of each of the following 
publications: 

The Annual Report of the Corpora- 
tion. 

The Annual Circulars of the School 
of Applied Art and the Philadelphia 
Textile School. 

The Art Handbooks and Art Primers, 
issued from time to time by the Museum 
(a printed list of publications will be 
mailed to any member on application). 

The Illustrated Quarterly Bulletin of 
the Museum. 

A list of members is published each 
year in the Annual Report. 

Applications for membership, and re- 
mittances should be sent to The Secre- 
tary, P. M. & S. I. A., Memorial Hall, 
Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, Pa. 

HOURS OF ADMISSION 

The Museum is open, free to the pub- 
lic, every day in the year. 
Opening Hours: 

Mondays at 12 M. 
Other Week Days at 9:30 A. M. 
Sundays at 1 P. M. 
Closing Hours: 

During the summer months, 5 P.M. 
(Sundays, 6 P. M.) 
During the winter months, a half 
hour before sunset. 



CATALOGUES, HANDBOOKS, ETC. 
(On sale at the South Entrance) 

Handbook of the Museum $ .25 

A Brief History of the Bayeux Tap- 
estry 10 

Cork Models of Windsor Castle, 
Tower of London, Westminster 
Abbey, Church of St. Peter, Rome .10 

The Great Seals of England 25 

Handbook of the Collection of Tulip 
Ware of the Pennsylvania-German 
Potters: 

Paper cover 1.00 

Large paper edition, Cloth .... 5.00 

Handbook of the Maiolica of Mexico : 

Paper cover 1. 00 

Flexible Art Canvas 2.00 

Art Primer No. 3, Lead Glazed Pot- 
tery 50 

Art Primer No. 5, Tin Enameled 
Pottery 50 

Art Primer No. 6, Salt Glazed Stone- 
ware 5° 

Art Primer No. 9, Hard Paste Porce- 
lain 50 

Art Primer No. n, Artificial Soft 
Paste Porcelain 50 

Bulletin of the Pennsylvania Mu- 
seum (quarterly), per annum 1.00 



Friends of the Institution who desire 
to devise to it money should use the fol- 
lowing: 

Form of Bequest 

I give and bequeath unto the Penn- 
sylvania Museum and School of Indus- 
trial Art the sum of 

dollars for the use of the said Corpora- 
tion. 

Witnesses, 



Form of Devise of Real Estate 

I give and devise unto the Pennsyl- 
vania Museum and School of Industrial 
Art, its successors and assigns, all that 
certain (here insert a description of the 
property) for the use of the said Cor- 
poration. 



Witnesses, 



P E N N S Y LVA NIA MUSEUM 

AND SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART 



MUSEUM COMMITTEE 



John Story Jenks, Chairman 
Thomas Skelton Harrison 
John H. McFadden 
John D. McIlhenny 
John T. Morris 
John W. Pepper 
Edgar V. Seelejr 



Edward T. Stotesbury 

Mrs. W. T. Carter 

Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth 

Miss Fannie S. Magee 

Miss Elizabeth C. Roberts 

Mrs. John Harrison, Ex Officio 

Miss Anna Blanchard, Honorary 

Edwin AtLei Barber, Director of the Museum 

Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson, Assistant Curator and Lecturer 



HONORARY CURATORS 

Textiles, Lace and Embroidery Mrs. John Harrison 

Oriental Pottery Mrs. Jones Wister 

European Porcelain Rev. Alfred Duane Pell 

Arms and Armor Cornelius Stevenson 

Furniture and Woodwork Gustav Ketterer 

Musical Instruments Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth 

Prints, Book Plates and Historic Seals Charles E. Dana 

Numismatics F. D. Langenheim 

Sculpture, Marbles and Casts Alexander Stirling Caluer 



INSTRUCTION COMMITTEE 



Theodore C. Search, Chairman 
Charles Bond 
Charles E. Dana 
Charles H. Harding 
Thomas Skelton Harrison 
John Story Jenks 
John D. McIlhenny 
Edgar V. Seeler 
G. Henry Stetson 



Mrs. John Harrison, Ex Officio 



Jones Wister 
William Wood 
Mrs. Rodman B. Ellison 
Mrs. F. K. Hipple 
Mrs. Thomas Roberts 
Mrs. Joseph F. Sinnott 
Mrs. C. Shillard Smith 
Mrs. John Wister 
Mrs. Jones Wister 



ASSOCIATE COMMITTEE OF WOMEN TO THE BOARD OF TRUSTEE3 



PRESIDENT 

Mrs. John Harrison 

SECRETARY 

Mrs. C. Shillard Smith 



VIC&-PRESIOENT 

Mrs. Thomas Roberts 

TREASURER 

Mrs. Joseph F. Sinnott 



Mrs. Edwin Swift Balch 
Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg 
Miss Louise W. Bodine 
Mrs. Jasper Yeates Brinton 
Mrs. John H. Brinton 
Mrs. William T. Carter 
Miss Margaret Clyde 
Miss Margaret L. Corliss 
Miss Ada M. Crozer 
Mrs. David E. Dallam 



Mrs. Rodman B. Ellison Miss 

Countess Santa Eulalia Mrs. 

Miss Cornelia L. Ewing Mrs. 

Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth Mrs. 

Mrs. W. W. Gibbs Mrs. 

Mrs. C. Leland Harrison Miss 

Miss M. S. Hinchman Mrs. 

Mrs. F. K. Hipple Mrs. 

Mrs. J. L Ketterlinus Mrs. 
Miss Nina Lea 



Fannie S. Mages 
Arthur V. Meigs 
James Mifflin 
Francis F. Milnb 
John W. Pepper 
Elizabeth C. Roberts 
Cornelius Stevenson 
John Wister 
Jones Wister 



HONORARY MEMBERS 



Mrs. M. Hampton Todd 



Miss Anna Blanchard